Wednesday 5 June 2013

Going Green: Why Bother?

Ok so here's the thing. I came across a range of eco friendly products as I am looking to change my whole lifestyle. If I like them, I'd make some income through promoting them. Maybe not the greenest of reasons for going green but the fact is that unless we (and starting with myself of course) do change some very practical things in our lifestyle, we will continue to put huge pressure on our environment.

And I am quite intrigued to be looking into issues in a deeper way. I could not be happy just banging on about products without having the context quite clear. I don't want just to sell the products or find other people to do that. I do want to to do that, but I also would like to raise people's awareness about the possibilities. And that starts with my own awareness so this blog is where I'll try to weave it all together, all the strands.

 It leads straight to all the big questions... why are we here, what is a human being for, what difference can one person make and what is true and untrue in the green scene. It feels like a huge missing piece of the jigsaw. If the planet is a connected whole then are we as human beings part of that system or are we just here to take what we can and get on with it? I know intuitively that living in a greener way will help me have a whole different relationship with Nature. And having that relationship with Nature will mean living more green. A virtuous circle. That's how I see it today.

 As part of this exploration, today I started reading a book called " Green Spirituality" (ed.Marian Van Eyk McCain) It's a homecoming in many ways. More than 20 years ago I was interested in Creation Centred Spirituality and even went to a conference organized by Matthew Fox. It was great to come across this
video where he talks about his ideas!


.

 That conference is still a highlight of my life, seeing a connection between creativity, compassion and nature which I have not found in most main stream theatre or music.

 Living more green is for me not just about the products I use or the way I understand meaning and purpose. It's also about a natural lifestyle. What's expected of people in the workplace today. In my own profession, there is a loss of heart and soul which makes it often a superficial and simplistic endeavour.  It's an attitude towards people which is unnatural.

This is a massive subject but it matters as we have a ludicrous situation where some people have work and an income but live impoverished lives with little time for family and friends, let alone the wider community. Others have all the time in the world but limited opportunity to participate in life through work and very little income.

 As I can't envisage working for many more years in my current profession as it is structured at the moment, I am looking at alternatives and that is part of the "green" lifestyle. How to have a real work /life balance so that there is time, and money, to enjoy my life. If I find that for myself then that will help others with similar
dreams.



"Through the eyes of Green Spirit, no one step invalidates a previous awareness..." (Grace Blindell)

No comments:

Post a Comment